SOE Opportunities - Member Development
Member Development Description
Program Requirements: Chapter completes at least 1 member development program for members each semester. This program should connect to chapter goals outlined in their annual plan. Topics include, but are not limited to, professional development, leadership.
Please note: Given the goal of developing your members as individuals, you are particularly encouraged to split up programming based on the needs of your members for this SOE program. For example, if your chapter chooses to focus on professional development, graduating seniors could attend a salary negotiation workshop, sophomores and juniors could attend an internship fair, and first-year students could attend a session on how to construct a resume. Please work with your SFL Liaison if you have further questions.
Partner with these Ohio State departments and organizations to register for their pre-approved programs.
- Career Counseling and Support Services Workshops
- Dennis Learning Center Workshops
- These workshops are available by request, open workshops, or through the First-Year Success Series.
- Hands-Only CPR (Provided by OSU EMS)
- If you cannot access the link above, please email email@example.com to schedule a workshop.
- Off-Campus Housing Excellence Program Home Walk-Throughs
- This workshop only counts for each individual who attends the walk-through and learns directly from the OCHEP representatives directly; having an OCHEP representative walk through your house does not mean it automatically accounts for all members of your organization who live there. This means that this opportunity would be difficult to engage all members of a large chapter in, but you may suggest this to members who cannot attend another Housing program.
- OSU Votes Workshops
- The OSU Votes workshop request form allows for many different presentations based on the interests of the chapter. You may choose any combination of topics as long as they add up to at least 45 minutes of content.
- Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) (Provided by OSU Department of Public Safety)
- This workshop also counts for the Health & Safety SOE requirement, but your chapter cannot use it to fulfill both requirements simultaneously. For instance, if you count it for your Safety/Health/Wellness requirement, you cannot also count it for the Member Develepment requirement, or vice versa.
- Student Leadership Advocate Presentations
- When filling out this form, please make sure to check "yes" for the question, "Are you interested in receiving a consultation for a workshop or retreat facilitation?"
- Student Life Wellness Center Presentations
- Some of these workshops (Alcohol/Tobacco/Drug Prevention, Sexual Health, and Relationship Education/Violence Prevention) may also count towards Health & Safety SOE programs, but you may not count a program for both of your requirements. We encourage you to focus on other aspects of wellness for Member Development.
Approved SOE Opportunities
Please check here throughout the semester for more SOE opportunities.
February 11th, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. EST
Salary Negotiation Workshop with The American Association of University Women
February 8th and 15th, 2021 at 5:30 pm EST
Zoom link here password: AAUW
You Can't Have it All: Real Balance In College
March 2, 2021 at 7:30 p.m. EST
First Gen Student Empowerment Series: Campus Involvement During a Pandemic
February 10th, 2021 6:00 pm EST
Register at go.osu.edu/firstgenseries6
Senior Programming Series
- Your First Job
- Thursday, March 11th 7:00 pm EST
- Register at: https://osu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_zTRcCc4CSWmyg5ctz66tSg
- This program will provide information and resources to help you be successful in the first 30 days of your job. What to expect in the HR office on day one, moving through the next month of meeting your coworkers and learning to build a relationship with your manager.
- Finding a Safe Place to Live in a New City
- Tuesday, March 16th 7:00 pm EST
- Register at: https://osu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Hfgtz0pTTWa0XJ_Rs5Feaw
- Moving to a new city for your first job? Wondering how to find a safe place to live? Join us for this 75 minute webinar to gain skills on how to find a good place to live in a new city!
- Budgeting and Saving
- Thursday, March 18th 7:00 pm EST
- Register at: https://osu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_oZNOfE0LQK2K7Ab46NVXBw
- Wondering how you'll save for retirement, an emergency car repair or a vacation? Have no idea how to budget all your bills? Join us for help on how to tackle budgeting and saving as a young professional.
Additional SOE Opportunities (NOT Automatically Approved)
Check out these additional resources for ideas to create your own SOE event. Please note that you must still fill out an SOE approval form (located at the top of this page) for any of these events. They are not automatically approved.